A comfortable t-shirt is a must-have in every closet across the nation, and if you play your cards right, they can also be a valuable advertisement for your business.
A hundred-odd years ago, the t-shirt was created as a solution for men’s underwear. Today, the t-shirt has evolved into not only a trendy garment but a way to express ourselves and our values. They can also be used as an advertising tool for a plethora of businesses and organizations. Colleges hand t-shirts out to new students like candy, charity organizers often include t-shirts in thank you bags or as part of the registration fee, and major political movements use t-shirts to express their slogans and party promises.
The power of t-shirt advertising is undeniable, providing a sense of camaraderie for people who love the same band or reminding a passerby about that landscaping project they’ve been putting off for months. Both t-shirts create the same result: a sense of ‘need’ or ‘want’ in the person observing the t-shirt.
If it’s true that a t-shirt can generate excitement or desire, it’s also true that it can generate dread or disgust. A poorly designed t-shirt can be disastrous to a company trying to make a name for themselves. Here are a few tips we recommend when designing a t-shirt for your company.
1. Consistent Branding: Be sure to keep your logo design and colors consistent across your t-shirt orders.
2. Print Style: The style of ink you choose for your printing is a reflection of your messaging. Soft inks are light and breathable, creating a long-lasting, but subtle design, while bold inks are darker and more vibrant, though they generate a bit of texture.
3. Fabric Types: The type of fabric you choose will drastically change your shirt’s look and feel. Cotton shirts provide a deep, bold look, while blends provide a softer and more understated appearance.
4. T-Shirt Style: Deciding between unisex and female shirt styles is the first decision point, though we recommend choosing a sampling of each style. This will increase the likelihood that each person who has one of your company’s shirts will comfortably wear it out of their home.
5. Add-ons & Embroidery: Simple add-ons like neck and tag printing, foil printing, or embroidery can set your t-shirt apart from the others in a person’s t-shirt drawer. The goal is to balance comfort, messaging, and design to keep your t-shirt at the top of the pile.
A T-Shirt as a Billboard
T-shirts are one of the most profound forms of individualistic expression. They are a person’s way to communicate with the world that which is most important to them without ever having to say a word. If your t-shirt is well-designed, people will be more likely to reach for it over the others in their t-shirt drawer, providing you another free day of walking billboard advertising.